Burra is a fine example of a cut stone building. This is our second railway station of the South Australian modellers or anyone else who likes the look of it.
The kit is 376 mm x 175 mm and stand 70 mm high not including the chimneys .
Burra Railway Station – 1883
When the railway reached Burra in 1870, the Adelaide-Burra line was more than half the total railway line laid in South Australia.
The inadequate weatherboard station was replaced in 1883 with an impressive stone building that included refreshment rooms. Local builders Sara & Dunstan won the contract for the new station.
It became a busy station on the main line to Broken Hill from 1888 and from 1917 to 1937 on the route to Perth.
An arched roof over two tracks and the platform provided shelter for passengers until it was demolished in 1935.
The refreshment room closed in 1936.
Passenger services ceased in December 1986 and the last grain trains to Burra operated circa January 1999 to clear the 1998-1999 harvest.
The last light engines ran to Burra: CK4 on 21 May 2003, 841 on 26 September 2003 and 843 on 12 March 2004.
Following years of neglect, a major restoration was undertaken 2010-14. The former station is now maintained by the volunteer group, The Friends of the Burra Railway Station, who open the building for visitors, hire the main rooms for functions and derive an income for its maintenance from bed and breakfast accommodation located in the former residential portion of the station.
We have built it as is was in the 1950’s.